Community responses to covid-19
Useful COVID-19 resources
Advice please. I'm looking for the best examples of citizens' initiatives on the Covid19 crisis, pre-empting government action, from around the world. In other words, people working together to contain the pandemic and support each other through it. Thank you in advance.
- Coronavirus Tech Handbook. a group of technologists and now 80 volunteer librarians curating and creating a collaboration tool focused on resources and tools. Now in 8 languages. Sections for Doctors / Nurses / Justice/ Isolation / when a new demand is identified a new section made. (Via Dan Wahl's tweet)
If you want to help but but don't know what to do, read through the handbook for ideas. If you are doing or making something already, put it in the handbook to reduce duplication. The Coronavirus Tech Handbook provides a library for technologists, civic organizations, public and private institutions, researchers, educators and specialists of all kinds to collaborate on an agile and sophisticated response to the coronavirus outbreak and sequential impacts. It is a rapidly evolving resource with thousands of active expert contributors.
- #AloneTogether Handbook: Regenerative Resources in a Time of Coronavirus (XR / Extinction Rebellion UK).
Now is the time to take care of ourselves. We don’t know how long coronavirus is going to be with us, and we all need to prepare ourselves for this uncertainty and adapt. As Extinction Rebellion has been evolving we’ve been developing resources and tools to help navigate the climate and ecological emergency which are of deep relevance as we face this planetary health crisis. This handbook has been created to offer support in building resilience to the crises, staying connected with each other, and empower you in offering support to others. Over time, the initiatives listed here will develop, and as capacity grows, working with others we plan to roll them out ever-wider. In this moment Regenerative Cultures around the world are connecting, creating resilience, collaboration, health and solidarity. Now, more than ever, we need those things. Each of us has a vital role in creating a regenerative response to coronavirus.
- Resources for civil society in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. From CIVICUS, a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society throughout the world.
Defending civil society, democratic rights, and our fundamental freedoms can be challenging, let alone having to do it while under “lockdown” practicing social distancing in the midst of a global health crisis spreading rapidly across the world. In times like these, solidarity and social compassion play the most important role. To help connect and inform the alliance and civil society during this time, we will be collecting information, resources, and support to share.
Blogs and other analysis
For kids and family
- Monbiot, George. Covid-19 is nature's wake-up call to complacent civilisation. Wed 25 Mar 2020 https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/25/covid-19-is-natures-wake-up-call-to-complacent-civilisation
- George Monbiot: I'm looking for the best examples of citizens' initiatives on the Covid19 crisis https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1243074115763875840
- Coronavirus Tech Handbook https://coronavirustechhandbook.com/home
- Daniel Christian Wahl on Twitter https://twitter.com/DrDCWahl/status/1243160991212490753
- Extinction Rebellion UK (XR). #AloneTogether Handbook: Regenerative Resources in a Time of Coronavirus. Accesssed March 26 2020 https://docs.google.com/document/d/16eLNGF-2GEUkAzZQXGNp5uy22nbXBBmGrz6MYgDBq1w/edit
- Extinction Rebellion UK https://rebellion.earth/
- Resources for civil society in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. CIVICUS https://www.civicus.org/index.php/media-resources/news/blog/4345-resources-for-civil-society-in-the-midst-of-the-covid-19-pandemic