Capitalisation of page titles
Content page names in sentence case (i.e. only first word and proper nouns capitalised)
Names of category pages will be in Title Case
e.g. Status report is a page about the status report. We also have a category for all pages within the status report, whose name is Status Report.
These need to be consistent, as far as possible, across the site. No agreement yet on which to use.
Referencing and citation formats
We will use a standard system, compatible with Zotero's standard bibliographic formats. User: Tom Henfrey has been using Harvard so far.
The Extension is enabled. References are currently written inline rather than named inline and written in full at the end of the document though this is a default situation, so a decision may need to be made (details of these options at .)
These are conventions about the structure of pages. A consistent structure of Wiki pages is supposed to make the content easier accessible. You don't need to be too rigid about the structure, it is more an orientation how to organize pages. Also the conventions are open to discussion and changes. You can use the EcoliseWiki talk:Editing Conventions page to make suggestions and changes. See EcoliseWiki:User guidelines for editing conventions.
- Most important
- The content in the Wiki is dynamic and can be changed by you or another person in the future. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Be bold and write as much as you think is meaningful.
- Texts should not be longer than 10-20 minutes read. If it is longer you might want to split it up into subpages.
- -Choose a short but meaningful title that can be easily fit into a continous text.
- -Write a lead text that summarizes the page.
- -When the title is mentioned again in the lead text, use [bold] letters.
- -Use level 2 headings for the different sections of the page.
- -Use inline [references] and a reference section at the end of the page to display all the sources used.
- Linking the page
- -Integrate links to other pages, even if they are not existent yet. It helps to create a network of knowledge, shows other users which contents are still needed and it will be easier than browsing many pages for possible links later.
- -If you need to rename a page use the [move] page function. Otherwise the link might brake and the page cannot be found anymore.
- -Keep in mind that people could choose different titles for pages. (e.g. GEN or Global Ecovillage network). If possible check for existing pages and create a [redirecting link] in case there are different versions of the page title.